We all have days where we feel like lying in bed all day and binge watching Netflix shows (guilty!). It’s completely normal wanting to be a couch potato every now and then, but make it a habit and you’ll get nothing done. So here are my top 10 ways to get your butt off that couch and start getting motivated!
1. Take it one step at a time – It’s easy to lose track of all your goals when you keep listing and listing without starting to tick them off. You’ll find your to-do list or your goals list continue to grow to the point of no return. So you need to learn to take it one step at a time! It’s probably more practical for you to set one goal and complete it before moving onto the next. Remember to set small and specific goals – although the sky is the limit, there’s no point reaching when you have no direction.
2. Look for new inspiration every single day – With technology making its fast improvements on our lives everyday, it can become hard for us to look for new sources of inspiration. Take Google and Instagram for example; they websites lock in your previous searches and bring you products, information and images based on those searches. There’s nothing new, especially when it comes to beauty and fashion. When I go onto my Instagram feed and popular page, it is filled with rose gold make up looks and home decor. So just for a few hours, unplug yourself from social media and go outdoors – look for inspiration in the real world.
3. Stick with it – I am queen procrastinator – I’d much rather rewatch Seinfeld or Friends then do actual work but I’ve realised that the quicker I finish what I need to do, the more time I’ll have to watch my shows with a free mind. There really are no shortcuts when it comes to getting things done right. Stick with the task at hand and set that small, specific goal – complete it and you’ll feel 100% better about it.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask for help – This is a problem I feel we all have. Even in this day and age, people feel weak when asking for help. When we feel unmotivated, we tend to keep to ourselves and just wallow in our own thoughts – but discussing ideas and even issues with other people will help you get out of your rut. Multiple brains are definitely better than 1.
5. Write a list of things that make you happy – Okay, sure this may sound a little corny and cheesy. But it definitely works when you’re feeling unmotivated and down. We all have our days where we want to play the victim. Grab a pen and paper or even your phone and just jot down a list of 5-10 things that make you happy. Something like the way your hair is sitting today or that your favourite show has released a new episode. Don’t get complicated – keep it short, sweet and simple. It’ll give you a jolt of positivity!
6. Time doesn’t slow down for anyone – As mentioned earlier, everyone is allowed to have their down days. But remember that as you’re sitting in bed watching Netflix or taking that 2 hour nap, the world is still revolving. Time certainly doesn’t slow down for anyone and that includes you!
7. Shake it off, literally – Sometimes, all we need is a good shake. Jumping up and down or going for a really quick run down the road can sometimes lift your spirits. Once you get your heart beating, you’ll have that little bit more energy to go on with your day.
8. Talk to yourself – This may sound a little crazy but you can trust no one more than yourself. You will always be the one who knows what’s wrong and what’s right. So when you feel you need motivation, give yourself a little pep talk or even quote mantras that may help lift your spirits. I found 2 that I really love that’s perfect for unmotivated people:
You are far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way – Jennifer Freeman
I am too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated – Hussein Nishah
9. Make mistakes – We are all human beings which means we all make mistakes! i can say for a fact that if I didn’t make mistakes in my life then I wouldn’t be the person I am today. Let’s be real here. Life is a series of trial and error and you really never know what works for you unless you try it. People are never going to get things 100% right the first time and that’s how genius ideas come to life. Always remember that there are multiple ways to doing things, you just need to step out of your comfort zone and try new things. So go forth and make mistakes!
10. Be prepared to fail – You’re probably thinking, after all that motivational pep talking, you leave me with the word fail? YES! Similar to making mistakes, you have to prepare yourself for failure every now and then. Success usually comes from doing things right but to do things right, you probably had to do things wrong to get it right, right? The difference between being successful and being a failure is that successful people stand up and brush themselves off. They try again. When I say be prepared to fail, I mean be prepared for disappointment but also be ready to pick yourself up and set stronger goals.
So there are my top 10 ways to motivate yourself – I hope you’ve taken something away from either 1 or 2 or all 10 of my tips!